Tyson Hugh Hooper

Tyson Hugh Hooper
Our son, Tyson Hugh Hooper, was born with coarctation of the aorta, hypoplastic arch, and a transitional avsd. His first open heart surgery reconstructed his aorta and was on day 9 of life. His second open heart repair was not anticipated to be needed until two or three years of age. Ty had other plans. We spent the vast majority of his first 3 months of life at Vanderbilt as he went into heart failure and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. As a result, the medical team concluded that he needed the repair much sooner than usually recommended, and at just shy of 3 months old Ty underwent his second life saving open heart surgery. God has already worked so many miracles in Ty's life and the life of our family and we know he is using our story. Because of this, we are grateful for Ty's special heart and feel beyond blessed that God chose us to travel this road. We ask for prayers as Ty continues to heal. We are praying for a full recovery and life without restrictions for Ty. We are praying for God to use our family and Ty for His glory.

Thank you to each and every person who supports us through prayer, giving, or just by loving on our family! We are humbled and blessed by all of the ways the Lord is providing for us and know that he is using Ty and his story to do great things!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Turkey? But it's not Thanksgiving...

As some of you already know, recently I am trying to be a little more health conscious. Don't panic - I'll never give up my steak and potatoes or my macaroni and cheese... I am just cutting back a little. It's not that I just want to drop a pound or two (although that's a nice perk)... it is just that I am aware that I need to form some healthy habits that will make life down the road even sweeter! So I drink a little more water and not as much sweet tea (I'll never give up my wine!!!!) and I try to eat a little more salad and a few more vegis and not quite as many fried chicken fingers and fries!


Many of you also know that I love-love-love to cook! So, on my new quest for healthy living, I decided to experiment a little. Generally speaking I am no fan of Turkey except the giant kind that you get on Thanksgiving (be it baked, smoked, or deep fried) served with dressing (my grandmother's cornbread dressing, that is) and gravy. I don't care for turkey sandwiches (lunch meat) and really don't eat turkey any other time of the year. This is why tonight is surprising to me.

Last night I went to the new Publix down the road (super nice, but a shade more expensive than my little K-rogers that I LOVE) to find some spinach pasta. That is, perhaps, the only thing I have ever not been able to find at Kroger. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and get all my shopping done while I was there. In the meat department while lusting after beautiful steaks, but buying chicken to grill (yum yum - and healthy) I spied some ground turkey. I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try... it's supposed to be a little more good to you than the beef I do so love! So here is my experience with my ground turkey...

I got home today and decided pasta was calling my name (7 grain pasta, of course, and it's REALLY good by the way). I thought, what goes better with 7 grain pasta than marinara sauce and meatballs! YUM! So out came the ground turkey and away we went. I had no recipe, but I put what I figured you might put in any meatball: one egg, (wheat) bread crumbs, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, a little soy sauce, and a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix - don't ask me about this one... it goes in meatloaf, so I figured why not in meatballs! I put my happy little turkey balls (okay, that sounds kind of gross) my "meat" balls into a pan to saute in a little bit of vegi-oil here they are browning up:

After they were cooked through I drained them and gave them a marinara hot tub to bathe in while I cooked up the pasta... here they are getting a little saucy!

Finally I plated my turkey meatballs on a bed of 7 grain fusilli and topped with a little parmesan cheese:

And the news is..... drum roll please.... I LOVED IT!!!!!!! It was very filling, very good, and it didn't taste like turkey at all! Yay! I can't wait until lunch tomorrow... I am not a leftover person either, but tomorrow I will make an exception for my turkey meatball marinara and fusilli!

Just wanted to share my turkey-lurkey experience! You might try it sometime... you could be surprised - I sure was!

3 comments:

Megan L Hutchings said...

My heart jumps for joy reading your blog Meag! Like you once said, it is so nice getting a little extra sneak peek into the life of my crazy, best friend. The dinner looked absolutely amazing =)!

Lauren said...

Um, why were we not invited to dinner??? That looks great! And props for the healthy attitude! I'm going to go inhale a cheeseburger now.

Rosie said...

Hey Meagan!!! I'm so glad I found you through Lauren's blog!!! Looks like you are doing great, and the dinner looks wonderful also =).

I told Lauren...we have a blog on a site called pleonast. It's www.pleonast.com/acurtis You can look any time you want but you have to create a username to leave a comment but that's super easy.

So good to "see" you!
Love ya!
Rosie