...for the very first time! lol
My dearest Moo (Megan Hutchings) has tagged me, so here we go! :-)
What was I doing ten years ago (1998)?
I was a sophomore/Junior at Ooltewah High School! I was driving around in my new Ford Mustang (that's right, the one I STILL drive - hey, it's paid for!!) thinking I was too hot to trot! Taking the "American Studies" class and the big trip to NYC! I was loving friends and living large!!! Life was grand and care free, and fabulous!
5 things on my to do list today (it's an easy day, I did all my running around yesterday!!!):
1. Finish grading rough drafts from the project I assigned
2. Another IEP meeting (will they ever end!?!?!)
3. Mow the lawn (probably not actually going to happen since I am not out there, but in here blogging instead, lol)
4. Catch up on email and blogging
5. Go to the grocery store
What I would do if I was a billionaire (in no particular order):
Pay off major debts of close family and friends
Pay off my own home and buy a new car (I actually NEED one)
Give money to my church and some charities I support
Put a lot of money away in savings.
Take a BIG trip with my nearest and dearest
Splurge Purchases: Titan's season tickets, a boat for the lake, and... well, the question said BILLIONAIRE, so maybe a beach house! lol
1) Putting off scrubbing the tub until it is almost embarrassing
2) Failing to floss on a regular basis (Me and Moo totally have this in common)
3) Not pulling weeds or working in the yard until it is borderline out of control!
Places I have lived:
Ooltewah, TN (same house my whole life until I moved to Middle TN)
Murfreesboro, TN (off Rutherford in an apartment with La, and now my house on the other side of town)
Jobs I have had:
Nanny (I nannied 2 sweet girls two summers in a row, 5 days a week from about 6:30 AM - 5:00 PM)
Fabric Store clerk
Sears Sales Associate
Runner and "Legal Assistant" (lol) at a local Law Firm (My favorite!!!!!!)
Teacher (My current job and other favorite!!!)
Lauren (Okay, Moo already tagged you, but I tag you too!)
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
...for the very first time! lol
Posted by Meagan at 2:48 PM
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Posted by Meagan at 12:50 PM
Thursday, April 24, 2008
There is cause for celebration... My two bests and I have enjoyed two exciting events this week!
I am already down for a European Facial and an "All In One" massage that is a combination of a relaxation massage and a hot stone massage!!! Can you say, "pamper me?!?!" We also get all the yoga we want and breakfast and lunch at the spa! We plan on driving to Ashville for a little shopping and dining as well! I can't wait!!!!
Posted by Meagan at 1:17 PM
Monday, April 21, 2008
Posted by Meagan at 1:06 PM
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Posted by Meagan at 5:00 PM
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Spending a little time on a post about my Mom and her garden made me run across a picture of her greenhouse. This is no ordinary greenhouse, but one very special greenhouse, designed and built by my incredibly talented dad out of antique windows!
I mean really... I know it's a greenhouse, but it is beautiful! My Daddy built their home (the one I grew up in - which was amazing) and my brother's home (which is also beautiful) and has had countless other building projects through the years. The funny thing is, that isn't what my dad does for living, that is just what he does for fun and for the people he loves!
There aren't many words that do my father justice, but a couple come to mind. My Daddy is patient and kind. He is also incredibly smart! He can fix anything! Basically... he's the stuff that hero's are made of!
He loves my Mama in a way that taught me what love is... not always smooth around the edges, but worth it. She has said many times that he is her hero and I know that he feels just as passionately about her!
He has a deep commitment to family and a love for his children (all three of us) that is visible and tangible and wonderful.
My Dad is an example and a hero and the best man I know.
Posted by Meagan at 3:58 PM
Here is a picture of my mom so you'll know who I am talking about... actually it's a picture of my sister, Sarah, my mom, and myself at my Aunt's house:
And while I am at it, here is a picture of my Aunt (whose house we were at in the picture above):
Her name is Jenni... she and her husband Greg live near Jackson, Mississippi. She is fabulous and fun and who I credit for introducing me to my love of wine and many other things along the way!
So back to gardening... my mom is the best! She has everything from roses to raspberries and everything seems to flourish with her touch! In the summer (or any pretty day for that matter) you can find her somewhere gardening, whether it's her potted plants by the pool, the landscaping around the house, her actual garden, or fun random places around the barn and yard where she creates beautiful arrangements of plants and flowers!
Here is the entrance to her garden. I have countless memories of walking down to and through the garden throughout my childhood. It is where she could always be found when you couldn't find her anywhere else. Sometimes I sought her out to find out what was for dinner, sometimes to settle an argument between me and one of my siblings, but a lot of times, especially as I got older, just to walk through the garden and see what she had going on down there. Plucking raspberries or muscadines and watching little bunnies and birds make themselves at home in a little piece of paradise!
Posted by Meagan at 3:38 PM
Simply put, I don't have one! My grandmother and mother are both incredible gardeners. I didn't inherit that gene. My mama actually likes weeding her garden - that's right, you read correctly, my mom LIKES pulling weeds! It's all I can do to spray them - and that's on a good day!
It can't be that hard, right? I am going to shoot for some herbs and a couple vegetables - going to make myself start small and manageable. My friend Gina and I are going to plant more vegetables at her house and take care of them together. Hopefully that way we can both enjoy the benefit of a "real" vegetable garden and only have to do half of the work each! I would say doing it yourself is too much work for one person, but my mama does it every year and makes it look easy!
So, wish me luck and next time you are at my house or in my back yard (for those of you who visit) encourage me and pitch in... if you see a weed, for goodness sake, pull it! :-)
Posted by Meagan at 3:16 PM
Posted by Meagan at 2:33 PM
Bentlee and her Daddy - Love at first sight!
After the shock wore off Ken said, "I guess God just wanted me to have a little girl!"
The day after Bentlee was born was spent trying to come up with the perfect name for their new baby girl! The final choice "Bentlee Marie"
She had a head full of dark hair and looked just like her Daddy!
The day after she was born I rocked Bentlee and she stole a little piece of my heart!
I will post more recent pictures of Bentlee in the coming days - now I am all about digging through these wonderful pictures of the only real princess I know!
Posted by Meagan at 1:54 PM
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Well, I haven't posted since Monday, so I figured I better get back on here or everyone's going to assume I gave up blogging! NO WAY! I have just been super-duper busy! Most of you already know that I coach the dance team at my school (although hopefully I will be able to give that duty up next year) and assistant coach the cheerleaders (hopefully I will take that on full time soon)... and although dance is over for the year - cheer is wrapping up and getting started all at the same time I guess you could say! Wednesday after work I had the "end of the cheer year" bash but today and tomorrow are cheer tryouts for next year! And today I also hosted an in-service after school. So, basically every day this week I have been busy doing something after work and pooped when I get home!
Inspired by my own "3 about me" post and a blog I love to read... Kelly's Korner... I will continue sharing some brief things about myself for your reading pleasure. :-)
My favorite holiday: Christmas (but I love ALL holidays - a little crazy - and I am all about celebrating some birthdays, seriously!)
Pets - none and no plan for any either. I like dogs, but the older I get I think I am just not a pet person. By the way, I don't like cats at all!
Favorite colors - pink and green (and favorite color to wear - black and pink)
That's it for today folks... more to come I am sure, but for now I am going to go take it easy for a few and unwind after a busy busy day at work!
Posted by Meagan at 2:56 PM
Monday, April 7, 2008
I thought I would write a post about myself today… So here are three VERY random things about me!
1. Although I am an extremely social person with a busy calendar and always open to guests in my home and to going out… I also enjoy spending time with myself. I go out to eat by myself on occasion. I like spending time at home alone. I absolutely LOVE going to movies by myself – a lot of times even prefer it. There is something special and comforting about snuggling down in a dark theater with a big sprite and a buttery oh-so-bad-for-me popcorn! I value so much that I know myself and know myself well. There is something to be said for not only being in touch with who you are, but embracing yourself! I think many people go through life too fast or settle into an existence too quickly and fail to reach the point where they truly develop themselves and a relationship with themselves independent of any other factor, save God.
2. This one is less profound than the first one, but something most of you probably don’t know. I love looking in catalogues at all kinds of things, but it is extremely rare that I actually purchase anything from a catalogue. I have a hard time buying something that I can’t see in person. You would think that would diminish the fun of looking through catalogues… but strangely it doesn’t. Some of my favorites: Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Hammacher Schlemmer, and Uncommon Goods.
3. I love recipes. I love to look at cookbooks and magazines and watch food network and collect recipes. I love, love, love to cook! I like creating my own recipes and even when I use a recipe that I have picked up somewhere from a book or a show, I rarely follow it exactly. (This is why I am not such a great baker!) Some of my favorite recipe sources: Church Cookbooks (they always seem to be the best), allrecipes.com (if you have never been there and like to cook, you should go!), Food Network (of course), and my personal favorite… friends and family! A fun source you might also look into is “Food and Family” magazine by Kraft. You can get it free (sign up on the website I think), they send one out each season, and it is filled with fun, easy, and usually seasonal recipes.
Well, there you have it. Three very random facts about me! I would love to learn three random and insightful things about you too! So if you are having a slow blog day, or want to email or comment, share some things about yourself!
P.S. My Mama’s Doggie (Tuffy) and My sister (Sarah) have both started blogs… you can link to them from this page! Check them out!
Posted by Meagan at 7:06 PM
Sunday, April 6, 2008
To quote my best friend Lauren, "Buca di Best-O!" My famous crew and I loaded up this past Saturday night and headed to Franklin, TN... destination: Buca di Beppo! This most fabulous Italian restaurant serves up big food and big fun and a fabulous atmosphere! It was a treasured moment being able to see my nearest and dearest in one location. I will let the pictures (and captions) speak for themselves:
Lauren and David and their sweet baby Dawson having a big time inside Buca! Dawson is an eater and I just KNOW that he was dying to get his little mouth around some connoli!
See if you have a Buca in your area - well worth the visit! And if you do, I hope you are as blessed as I am in having so many wonderful people to share the experience with!
Posted by Meagan at 7:28 AM