Tyson Hugh Hooper

Tyson Hugh Hooper
Our son, Tyson Hugh Hooper, was born with coarctation of the aorta, hypoplastic arch, and a transitional avsd. His first open heart surgery reconstructed his aorta and was on day 9 of life. His second open heart repair was not anticipated to be needed until two or three years of age. Ty had other plans. We spent the vast majority of his first 3 months of life at Vanderbilt as he went into heart failure and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. As a result, the medical team concluded that he needed the repair much sooner than usually recommended, and at just shy of 3 months old Ty underwent his second life saving open heart surgery. God has already worked so many miracles in Ty's life and the life of our family and we know he is using our story. Because of this, we are grateful for Ty's special heart and feel beyond blessed that God chose us to travel this road. We ask for prayers as Ty continues to heal. We are praying for a full recovery and life without restrictions for Ty. We are praying for God to use our family and Ty for His glory.

Thank you to each and every person who supports us through prayer, giving, or just by loving on our family! We are humbled and blessed by all of the ways the Lord is providing for us and know that he is using Ty and his story to do great things!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

An update on Ty

I spend another day at Vanderbilt yesterday checking up on our little man.  Maybe I should start calling him big man.  He is weighing in at 7 pounds now with a predicted pound-a-week gain for these last two weeks.  I am SO not prepared to give birth to a 9 pound baby, but the machines are just estimating his weight, so there is a margin of error there.  I figure God knows the perfect size for him to be and that's what he will be, so no since in worrying over it.

We had a non-stress test yesterday where we monitored his heart for an extended period of time.  He, and his ticker, passed with flying colors.  I even had a contraction while hooked up to the monitor and his heart rate went up during the contraction, not down, which is a very healthy response that we were happy to see!

Following the non-stress test, I headed to cardio for our last echo before Ty arrives!  He was stubborn, as seems to always be the case, and spine out again.  Our wonderful cardiologist worked hard to get as much of a look as he was able.  He could see even less this time because of position and size, but we were still greeted with what we feel is good news.  The narrowing in his aorta seems to be a small portion (they had originally said it was a rather long, extended portion) and the AVSD (holes and valve issues) looks like a partial instead of a complete like they originally thought.  These are both great news to this Mama's ears!  Anything that lessons the severity of his defect from the original diagnosis I am counting as straight up miracle and blessing from God as a result of all the wonderful prayers going up for us and for Ty!  So, keep those prayers coming folks!

Ty will be here two weeks from today!  Nesting has kicked into high gear and my to do list seems to only grow as I mark things off.  Mark off two things, add three more.  That's the way it goes, I suppose.  Yesterday one of my doctors asked if we were ready.  I told him I don't think you are ever really ready for a new baby.  He laughed and agreed.  Perfectly healthy or not, a new family member is a major adjustment and you can prepare as much as possible, but some things just have to happen when they happen and we adjust.  I can't wait to meet our little guy.  We'll be as ready as we can be... the rest is in God's hands.  I had a teacher once tell me, "prepare as if everything depends on you, and pray as if everything depends on God."  I have always thought that was pretty good advice.  So we are doing our part to prepare, but remembering that it is all ultimately in God's hands and we can't wait to see what He has in store of us and for Ty.

And because posts without pictures are no fun, here are some snow day shots from our most recent winter weather.  (Sorry no shots of Lily this time... she stayed at her mom's this time to get to enjoy playing in snow there with the neighborhood kids since she already got snowed in here last time!)

Now bring on spring!!!!