Tyson Hugh Hooper

Tyson Hugh Hooper
Our son, Tyson Hugh Hooper, was born with coarctation of the aorta, hypoplastic arch, and a transitional avsd. His first open heart surgery reconstructed his aorta and was on day 9 of life. His second open heart repair was not anticipated to be needed until two or three years of age. Ty had other plans. We spent the vast majority of his first 3 months of life at Vanderbilt as he went into heart failure and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. As a result, the medical team concluded that he needed the repair much sooner than usually recommended, and at just shy of 3 months old Ty underwent his second life saving open heart surgery. God has already worked so many miracles in Ty's life and the life of our family and we know he is using our story. Because of this, we are grateful for Ty's special heart and feel beyond blessed that God chose us to travel this road. We ask for prayers as Ty continues to heal. We are praying for a full recovery and life without restrictions for Ty. We are praying for God to use our family and Ty for His glory.

Thank you to each and every person who supports us through prayer, giving, or just by loving on our family! We are humbled and blessed by all of the ways the Lord is providing for us and know that he is using Ty and his story to do great things!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Snow, er, Sick day... and a recipe

Well, I had been praying for a snow day - we didn't even get a flake - and ended up with a different kind of day!

Yesterday was quite pleasant and ended with dinner with Meagn at Marina's (YUMO - a favorite of mine!) and a Junior League meeting. Last night however, things to a turn for the worst... I developed some kind of tummy funk! Didn't really feel like a virus, so maybe it was something I ate, but I would hate to believe that because I LOVE Marina's. Maybe my tummy just wanted a day off, and that's exactly what it got because it carried on long enough that I had to take a sick day! The day has been very... plain. I stayed home in bed most of the morning because I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Then I watched some food network, then did some lesson planning (didn't eat until just a bit ago - a little skittish considering). I just finished up some PowerPoints to go with some new lessons on Southern Europe, so I am feeling somewhat productive for a sick day!

I have always been a believer in the saying, "all things happen for a reason!" That rings very true today! Because I had to take a sick day, I scrambled this morning to find someone to cover my bus duty! I called a friend of mine who is ex-military who is always at work VERY early and he eagerly agreed to help me out and wished me well. He just called a few minutes ago on his way to court... that's right, I said court. You see, today in bus duty an "altercation" broke out between some students and as he attempted to prevent the situation from escalating to a fight by intervening and holding one girl back, she turned on him! I won't go into any more detail - confidentiality and all that stuff - but rest knowing he is okay and that the student is being taken care of ... and I have to say, as bad as I feel that that happened to him (and he agrees) I am glad it was him, someone much more equipped to handle that situation, and not me!

Now... onto Tasty Tuesday...

I tried a new, old recipe this week! I used to have a dear friend and next door neighbor named Kristin. Maybe I should clarify, still good friend, just no longer next door! It was really a neat situation that we hit it off so well... to be able to walk next door and be with a great friend is a really nice perk! I bet we visited at one of our houses at least 6 days a week and ate dinner together probably 2 nights a week minimum! She cooked more often than me, being that she has 4 kids and a hubby to feed and graciously included me, but I often contributed as well. Anyway, she is a wonderful cook with a wealth of quick and yummy recipes (seriously, 4 kids and a hubby, you KNOW she's got the quick fix meals goin' on!). SO... as I organized my recipes over Christmas, I ran across this recipe. I have never made it, actually, but it is a dish she used to serve and for all you mom's out there it is super fast and easy to prepare!

Curried Chicken
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or colby)
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp dried mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg broccoli (cooked for just 4-5 min)
chicken tenders

Put broccoli and chicken in a baking dish. Combine the other ingredients and pour over top. Bake at 300 degrees for about an hour.

It's really yummy and the curry is just right, not overwhelming. Serve it over rice and you have a complete meal!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry about the funk, but glad your better and were absent for teh "altercation."
Recipe sounds great. How's Kristen anyway?
meagan got a short week...no fair!

Megan L Hutchings said...

I am so sorry that you had did not feel well yesterday =(! Thank goodness though that you did not have to deal with that situation...YIKES!!!

Lauren said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and that you didn't have to become an inaugural member of the MCPD!

That recipe sounds really good and easy...I will be trying that out!

Lindsay said...

Love the recipe - and I love that you had such a close friend/neighboor! That's awesome. I barely know mine...but perhaps that's cuz it's too COLD to visit anyone around here. :-)

Leigh Ann said...

I'm so sorry your were under the weather, but I am so thankful you weren't involved in that brawl! Oh my goodness!