Tyson Hugh Hooper

Tyson Hugh Hooper
Our son, Tyson Hugh Hooper, was born with coarctation of the aorta, hypoplastic arch, and a transitional avsd. His first open heart surgery reconstructed his aorta and was on day 9 of life. His second open heart repair was not anticipated to be needed until two or three years of age. Ty had other plans. We spent the vast majority of his first 3 months of life at Vanderbilt as he went into heart failure and was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. As a result, the medical team concluded that he needed the repair much sooner than usually recommended, and at just shy of 3 months old Ty underwent his second life saving open heart surgery. God has already worked so many miracles in Ty's life and the life of our family and we know he is using our story. Because of this, we are grateful for Ty's special heart and feel beyond blessed that God chose us to travel this road. We ask for prayers as Ty continues to heal. We are praying for a full recovery and life without restrictions for Ty. We are praying for God to use our family and Ty for His glory.

Thank you to each and every person who supports us through prayer, giving, or just by loving on our family! We are humbled and blessed by all of the ways the Lord is providing for us and know that he is using Ty and his story to do great things!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Surgery Tomorrow

We had a rough day today.  I knew today would be an emotional day feeling the magnitude of tomorrow, but a layer of emotion was added when I arrived bright an early to less-than-perfect news on Ty.  Overnight Ty developed some fluid in his lungs.  They did a chest x-ray and echo early this morning to see what was going on since his respiration was too high and his stats were less than stellar for the first time.  Although after reviewing his x-ray and echo we were assured this was "not unexpected" and "nothing to worry about," I was still pretty shaken.  This is the first time he hasn't been perfectly stable and getting glowing reviews.  They started lasix to help him rid extra fluid, stopped his breast milk feedings, and put him on an nasal cannula with the equivalent of room air.  Over the course of the day his stats improved somewhat, although his respiration remained high.  After being on prostins for so long to keep his heart in good shape, his lungs began getting too much blood flow.  Anyhow, it meant more tubes, lots of monitor watching, and stress for us.  Thankfully we had lots of visitors since they lifted the flu ban and we were allowed more guests.

I haven't had the emotional reserve or physical energy to update the blog in a few days and I know there is a lot to say, but this is going to be rather scattered.  I am so exhausted I can't see straight and as I type this it is just as a distraction to keep my mind off of tomorrow.  I told Chris I don't know if this will be the longest night of my life or if tomorrow will be... or maybe both and a few days after that.  I wish I could go to sleep and wake up in about 4 days when the worst of this is over.

We met our surgeon.  Dr. Mettler.  He does all of the infant transplants at Children's.  He and one other doctor there also do all of the "most complex and complicated" cases, according to one of our nurses.  This is very encouraging.  He was wonderfully reassuring.  He thinks that it is possible that once he gets in there he may be able to fix both defects as the same time!  If this is the case, we won't have to return for a second surgery.  We are hoping this is possible tomorrow and for the best.  

Please pray for Dr. Mettler and the entire medical team tomorrow.  Please pray for Ty.  I am praying for Jesus to guide Dr. Mettler's decisions and hands as he works.  I am asking God to bless us with a perfectly executed surgery and an extremely quick and smooth recover.  

As I type my eyes are heavy and I know I'll be up very early to get back to Ty, so I'm signing off.  I'll post pictures and updates tomorrow if I am up to it.  Thank you for the continued support - God is good and I hope he is glorified through all of this!  Praying for healing!


Virginia said...

Praying with you and for you in Alabama. God's peace to you as you wait.

Shirley said...

I unite my prayers with yours, and hope to hear soon how well Ty is doing!